Winter Sports Awards Night

Lily Luttrell, Student

On Monday, February 27th, athletes and their teams came together for a heartwarming recognition of their participation in winter sports.

Our athletic director, Aaron Watson, started off the night with a charming speech about how all of these amazing athletes put in their hardest to not only compete, but show their patriot pride. Alpine skiing began as the first sports team to grace the stage, reminiscing about the times of trouble from last year- as there was not enough snow- and how perseverance was needed to navigate throughout the abundance of snow this year. Afterward, Mikey Sutherland and his coach were welcomed to the podium as the Nordic Ski team. The audience was in good spirits as the coach announced that he was hoping for a girls team next year- and possibly even another boy to compete- but nonetheless, his athlete has proved to be a promising. Next was ice hockey, and although there were no members available that night, the coach had arrived to say a bit about the wonderful team. Junior Varsity and Varsity Cheer were welcomed to the stand. Not only did the cheer coach acknowledge the cheerleaders, but also, a very unforgettable fan. The coach shared a story of the woman who returned for multiple games, not to watch her grandchildren, but to support her community. The crowd was amazed and filled with pride as everyone stood to watch her receive her Community Spirit Award. As the claps rung through the cafetorium, Unified Basketball took their place. Heartfelt memories were made as players and partners were introduced, followed by the presence of Junior Varsity and Varsity Boys basketball. They were chosen for the Sportsmanship award, which was an extremely big deal because the boys were very respectful- on and off the court. Next to come was the Girls Basketball, both JV and Varsity. The girls have come so far and everyone has hope that they can show us what they’ve got at their game on Friday. Finally, the indoor track team piled onto the stage for a wholehearted speech from their coach, and everyone returned to their seats. The mic went back to Mr. Watson for his final address, recognizing all the coaches and parents who put so much time into their athletes. The team academic award was presented to the girls track team, closing remarks were made, and the satisfying night ended with the booster program presenting the senior sweatshirts. Congratulations to all the winter sports teams and athletes that competed this season.