Do’s and Don’ts of High School

The DO’S DONT’S
of High School

Written by Trixie Aube & Scarlett Amelia Monserrat

High School is a troubling time for many teens. Even those who say “what are you talking about? I know exactly what I’m doing,” need help. Let’s be honest, the four years people spend in high school are arguably the four dumbest years of decision making they will ever experience. We’ve made a list to somewhat help you survive high school without looking like a complete fool. Or maybe that’s the image you’re looking for. We’ll help you find a look that suits you. Here are some do’s and don’ts that will help you battle your way through high school.

DO
Try sports. We know people say this all the time, but they really do help make high

school more bearable. If sports don’t interest you, join a club, or try acting. Even outside activities such as MAMM (Maine Academy of Modern Music) or dance help as well.

DON’T
Don’t do something you don’t enjoy. Life’s too short to waste your time on something

you’re not interested in. If your mom/dad makes you attend chess club, but you hate it with a burning passion as hot as Hades, ditch that sucker and find something of interest!

DO
Find a partner in crime! Everyone needs that one person to do everything with. They

should be a best/close friend. Having a stranger as your partner in crime is not only weird, but can get awkward real fast.

DONT

Don’t actually start committing crimes with your best friend. You’re in high school. Come on, get it together, man.

and

DO
Live a little! Don’t spend all your time on homework (I mean, it is important, but you

need a life too) or play COD or GTA (like I said, having a life is important as well). We all know how addicting these games get, but put it on pause, and go live. If you don’t like parties, get together with a small group of friends. If you don’t like people, well, it’s a big world full of people, so suck it up and go make some friends (I know it’s hard, but just find the right people and you’ll be fine).

DONT

Don’t let go of all your morals and standards when living. Not only can it be disastrous, but you’ll most likely regret it five years down the line.

DO

Try new things. Experiment a little. There’s so many great things out there just waiting to be experienced. Like sushi, for example, or a different crowd of people.

DONT

Don’t be so quick to judge. Give everyone and everything a chance. Seriously. Sushi is a beautiful thing, and if you never try it, you will never know how hard your taste buds can party. Unless you’re allergic to seafood. If so, stay far, far away.

DO

Make friends in all areas. It’s nice to have more than one cemented group to drift around with.

DONT

Don’t feel restrained to social boundaries and opinions. You’re in high school; these people will hold no sway over your life in a few years. Try to make the most of the experience.

DO
Keep your friends close. With any luck, you’ll be stick with them for a long time.

DONT
Don’t keep your enemies closer. Sooner or later, you’ll want to strangle them, so keep a

distance. Remember, you’re in high school; no need for an assault charge against you.

DO
Be weird. Act goofy. The world would be so boring without eccentric people who make

people laugh. Weird people makes the world go ’round.

DONT
Don’t be too weird. No one likes that guy that sits in the corner making fart jokes just to

get a laugh (well, let’s be honest, they’re funny to some extent), or the guy that collects toe nail clippings or bathes in bacon.

DO
Have fun. Some days need to have a little sarcasm and sass added.

DONT
Don’t become a sarcastic sass machine. NOBODY likes those.

DO

Add your opinion in class. Not only would you get a nice grade, but you’ll be surprised at how helpful you can be.

DONT
Don’t say every little thought that pops into your head. You will be greatly resented.

DO
Test your style. People usually find their signature style in high school. It just takes

some time to find, but it’s totally worth it.

DONT
Don’t wear parachute pants and hope for the best. PS, less is not always more.

And finally,

DO
Try your best when it comes to hygiene. People sweat a lot in high school and then tend

to smell later on. Everyone wants to smell nice, and everyone wants everyone to smell nice for sensory reasons.

DONT
Don’t douse yourself in perfume or AXE cologne. No one likes walking down the hall

and feeling like they’ve been hit with a tidal wave of pure adolescent stench.