Fall Music Department Update

Emma Matusovich, Student

It has been a VERY busy fall in the Music Department at Gray-New Gloucester High School. We have some exciting Autumn news to share with you!

On October 20th, we traveled to Lincoln Middle School in Portland to audition for the District 2 Honors Band Festival. The results are in – Congratulation to Morgan Brann (French horn), Adam Dale (trumpet), Danielle Fogg (saxophone), Sam McGrath Holmquist (trumpet), Emily Terranova (trombone), Kylie Trawick (flute), Megan Reynolds (clarinet) and Caleb McGrath Holmquist (clarinet). They will attend the District 2 Honors Festival in January at Oxford Hills High School,where they will rehearse under the direction of Dr. Mark Stickney.

For choir these students are, Jasmine Taudvin, Emma Matusovich, Sam McGrath Holmquist, Matt Cote, Noli French, Sabrina Fisher, Nikki Michaud, Cara Kennedy, Alicia Nevalls, Morgan Brann, Jordan Morin, and Dani Fogg.

Congratulations everybody!

On November 2nd, members of Gray-New Gloucester’s Concert Chorus, and Chamber Choir traveled to the American Choral Director’s Association, Maine festival. These students performed sections of winter concert repertoire for choirs around the state. They also practiced exceptional audience membership as other choirs performed. Thank you Ms. Chaloult for such a great opportunity!

On November 4th, Some GNG band and chorus students auditioned for MMEA Allstate Festival. This is a huge undertaking and students have been working very very hard all quarter (and over the summer) to get the material to audition-ready. These students for band are: Adam Dale, (trumepet) Kylie Trawick, (flute) Megan Reynolds (clarinet) Emma Matusovich, (horn) and Caleb McGrath-Holmquist, (clarinet.)

For chorus students auditioning are: Matt Cote, Jasmine Taudvin, Morgan Brann, Sabrina Fisher, Jordan Morin, Noli French, Sam Mcgrath-Holmquist, Cara Kennedy, Alicia Nevells. Good luck GNG Musicians!

On November 9th, GNGHS Sophomore, Caleb McGrath Holmquist performed with the 2016 All National Honors Band in Grapevine,TX! Students who were selected to perform in the 50 2015 All State bands were able to audition for the All National Band and Caleb was selected! We are SO proud of him! He has worked VERY hard to attain this level of proficiency. This festival is sponsored by the National Association for Music Education. Good luck to Caleb and his mother, Alice, on their journey! Many thanks to the following groups and individuals who helped raise the money to get him to Texas: MSAD15 School Board, Dr. Andrea Harvey, Stanley Buchanan and the Fanfare Concert Band, Jeremy Holmquist, GNGHS Band parents (rock stars) and everyone who bought chair raffle tickets and baked treats!

On November 21st, 3 students were selected to represent our high school at Plymouth State College in Plymouth, NH, and perform in the 2016 All New England Band Festival, sponsored by the New England Band Directors’ Association. Congratulations to Emma Matusovich, Morgan Brann and Caleb McGrath Holmquist! Emma and Morgan both play French Horn and Caleb, clarinet.

On November 27th, members of Gray New Gloucester’s Concert Chorus and Chamber Choir, will be caroling at the Tree Lighting ceremonies in both Gray and New Gloucester. Everyone is welcome to come witness the magical moment as the choirs sing while the tree gets lit up until Christmas.

Be sure to come to our Winter Concert on Thursday, December 8th at 7pm, to hear these wonderful musicians perform in our Concert Band, Concert Chorus and Chamber Choir!

Be well and stay tuned (pun intended).